Express Yourself in Messenger’s End-to-End Encrypted Chats
Today, we’re announcing updates for Messenger’s opt-in end-to-end encrypted chats that will help improve your messaging experience. We know that people expect their messaging apps to be secure, private and provide them a space to be expressive. This is why we are continuing to introduce some of the rich features that you already love in Messenger to end-to-end encrypted chats. Building secure and fun interactive features takes time and requires our engineers to innovate and solve technical challenges, so this is part of a series of product updates as we keep improving our services. With cybercrime and hacking on the rise, it’s more important than ever to find great ways to connect with friends and family through private and secure communications. We’re excited to help you express yourselves in delightful ways with your friends and family.
- End-to-end Encrypted Group Chats and Calls in Messenger: Last year, we announced that we began testing end-to-end encryption for group chats, including voice and video calls. We’re excited to announce that this feature is available to everyone. Now you can choose to connect with your friends and family in a private and secure way.
- Screenshot notifications: Last year, we updated the settings for disappearing messages in our end-to-end encrypted chats and now we’re introducing a new notification when we detect that someone screenshots a disappearing message. We think it’s important that you are able to use encrypted chats and feel safe, so we want to keep you informed if anyone takes screenshots of your disappearing messages. This is the same feature we offer in Messenger’s vanish mode , and now we’re rolling out this notification over the next few weeks for disappearing messages in our end-to-end encrypted chats.
- GIFs and Stickers: To help you level up your chats and express yourself, GIFs and Stickers are now available for a more feature rich chat experience in end-to-end encrypted chats.
- Reactions: With reactions, you’ll be able tap and hold on a message to bring up the reactions tray to make your choice of reaction: ❤️😆😮😢😠👍 You can also double tap a message to “heart” it.
- Replies: You’ll now be able to reply to specific messages in your end-to-end encrypted chats, either by long pressing or swiping to reply.
- Tap and hold to reply: long press on a message to reply to it. Your reply includes a copy of the original message.
- Swipe to reply: you’ll also be able to swipe on the message you want to reply to. Swipe and type!
- Typing Indicators: To help you feel more present in your encrypted 1:1 and group chats, typing indicators are now available so that you can see when others are typing.
- Message forward: Pass along messages to your friends and family with this new feature! Long-pressing on a message will give you the option to forward. One you tap the ‘forward’ button, a share sheet will be displayed so you can share with one or many people or groups. You’ll also be able to create a new group before forwarding a message.
- Verified Badge: We’re also making the verified badge available for end-to-end encrypted chats to help you identify authentic accounts and have meaningful interactions.
- Save Media: You’ll be able to save a video or image by long-pressing on any media you receive.
- Video edits: When sending a photo or video from your gallery, you’ll have the option to edit before sending so you can add your own personal touch. This includes adding stickers, scribbling or adding text, cropping, and audio editing too (for videos).
We know the importance of safety and privacy when it comes to communicating with the people who matter most to you. End-to-end encryption protects you and your data from hackers, criminals and other prying eyes. We hope these features elevate your private messaging experience as we continue to improve your encrypted conversations with friends and family. You can learn more about our commitment to your privacy, as well as other tools we offer, by visiting our Privacy and Safety Hub at www.messenger.com/privacy.