#ConnectWithPride on Meta’s Messenger and Messenger Kids this June
- Meta’s Messenger & Messenger Kids apps release new expression features and artwork to #ConnectWithPride this June and beyond
- This Pride Month, Messenger spotlights new docuseries featuring the story of Kais Boukthir, LGBTQ+ activist, actor, and influencer
At Messenger, we know that conversation brings us together, but how we show up to the conversation is just as important. This June and beyond, we want people to #ConnectWithPride because when we show up as the most authentic version of ourselves, we can truly connect with people. Starting today, in support of the LGBTQ+ community and allies, Messenger is launching new expression features and celebrating the artists and creators who not only developed them, but inspire us each and every day. We can’t wait for you to check them out for yourself on Meta’s Messenger and Messenger Kids apps! Let’s all #ConnectWithPride this June and beyond!
Connect With Pride on Messenger!
Starting today, we’re excited for you to check out our all-new Word Effects, camera stickers, and 3D Avatar stickers, in addition to our 360 background, sticker pack, and chat theme currently available in celebration of Pride Month (accessible on both Messenger and Instagram).
#ConnectWithPride using new Word Effects on Messenger, a fun emoji cascade to everyday words and phrases you’re already using in your chats. Once you select the Pride chat theme, try out Beautiful 💯, Queer 🌈, Community 🤝, Stand Proud 🏳️🌈 and Transgender 🏳️⚧️, or create your own Word Effects to level up your convos with friends and family in celebration of Pride.
Show off your Pride with 3D Avatar stickers on feed and stories on Facebook and Messenger. You’ll be able to show up as your Avatar in your Facebook profile picture, and in comments, stickers, stories, and more.
Later this month, we’ll also roll out a brand new sticker pack that invites conversation around support and love, designed in partnership with the incredibly talented London-based, non-binary artist and creator Wednesday Holmes (they/them).
Amplifying LGBTQ+ Voices & Changemakers
We’re also shining a light on LGBTQ+ voices and artists that make an impact and inspire us. Today we’re sharing the story of Kais Boukthir (he/him/his), a talented actor, model, and LGBTQ+ activist born and raised in the small town of Gafsa in Tunisia, North Africa. As a college student, Kais made the tough decision to claim asylum in the U.S. This meant giving up his right to return to his home country and see his family and loved ones so that he could live openly and authentically without penalty. Kais uses Messenger as his primary means of communication with his mom (who still lives in Tunisia), so that he can continue to connect and share with her.
Kais shares, “I had to make a choice to pick the life where I could be myself or give up my country, friends, loved ones, and a bright future I would’ve had in my own country if I was born straight. My goal is to fight so the next generation won’t have to make that decision.”
Messenger will release Kais’ story in a two-part docuseries beginning June 9 on the Messenger Facebook page.
Tune In & Celebrate Pride Month With Jojo Siwa
You can also tune in to Facebook Watch & Watch Together to enjoy new original content from global superstar, JoJo Siwa. This month, you can check out JoJo Goes, a new hybrid docuseries-format that follows JoJo and her celebrity friends as they partake in some crazy fun adventures she’s always wanted to experience but never got the chance to try before. The new series is executive produced by B17 Entertainment.
Connect With Pride on Messenger Kids, Too!
For kids wanting to celebrate Pride this month, Messenger Kids is bringing back its vibrant Pride camera stickers and camera frame, as well as a beloved rainbow AR effect. The artwork will be available to decorate photos and videos for the entire month of June.
From all of us at Messenger, wishing you a happy PRIDE!
Accessing Pride Month Features
- Camera Stickers: To use camera stickers on Messenger, simply open the Messenger app and start a video call, create a room, or take photos using the Messenger camera, and tap each of the features at the bottom of your screen!
- 3D Avatar Stickers: To create an Avatar and share as a 3D sticker, in a Messenger chat, tap on the smiley face then select the sticker button. Click “make your avatar” to customize and dress your avatar, then you’re good to share in a Messenger chat or in comments on Facebook posts. If you already have an Avatar and want to change it, click the smiley face on a Messenger chat thread, then the sticker button. Click on “See What’s New” and choose “Edit your Avatar” to view customization options. From there you’re ready to share!
- Chat Theme: For chat themes, open a Messenger thread and tap on the top bar to open the settings, then select “theme,” where you’ll find the Pride chat theme. To use this chat theme on Instagram, open a chat thread and tap on the information button at the top right corner of your screen. Under the chat settings, click the “Theme” button and you’ll be able to select the Pride chat theme.
- Word Effects (Messenger only): In a Messenger chat, go to thread details and tap Word Effects to add words (note: Word Effects associated with a chat theme are automatically added — just type the word in a message and send).
- Watch Together: Tune in to JoJo Goes this June on Facebook Watch or with your friends through Messenger’s Watch Together feature. To access Watch Together on Messenger or Instagram, simply start a video call, tap the media button in the bottom right on Instagram, or swipe up to access the menu on Messenger, select ‘Watch Together’ and search for JoJo Goes.
- Messenger Kids: To start decorating photos and videos, select the camera button in Messenger Kids and tap the frame or sticker icon to access the effects tray.